Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Salsa Chicken and Black Bean Soup

First of all, let me say, I am not a big soup person. I am really not a big brothy soup person. But, ever since it has gotten cooler, all I can think about is using my crock pot and trying out new soups! Wierd, I know!

When we made this, we just made a batch of cornbread, and called it a meal! Perfect!

I will definitely do this one again. In fact, I think I may cook up a batch and freeze for lunches!

Salsa Chicken and Black Bean Soup

--1 pound chicken (I dont know what 1 pound is, but I used 5 chicken breasts)
-- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed

--4 cups chicken broth
--1 cup sliced mushrooms

--1 cup frozen corn
--1 jar prepared salsa (16 oz)
(I got medium, and it was not too hot. In fact, I think if I had gotten mild, like I normally do, it wouldnt have had enough flavor)
--1 1/2 tsp cumin
--1/2 cup sour cream (to stir in at the end)

--shredded cheddar cheese, avocado slices, cilantro (all optional)


The Directions.


Bake the chicken (I cooked 30 minutes at 350 degrees)
Chop chicken into bite sized pieces


Add all ingredients into the crockpot, except the sour cream.


You can cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5.

If you'd like to thicken the broth (I did this), you can use your immersible blender to blend a bit of the beans and chicken. If you don't have one, scoop out 2 cups of the soup and carefully blend in your traditonal blender. Stir the mixture back into the crockpot. (Remember, I dont LOVE brothy soups)

Stir in the 1/2 cup of sour cream before serving, and garnish with shredded cheese and avocado slices.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment